Sunday 9 March 2014

Period Clothing and A day at Cine Citta - The Famous Italian Film Studios

Period hats and costume in Costumista Scenigrafo

Recently, us at The English Theatre of Rome have been working with Pop-up Rome on a fundraiser for Save The Children. The event, which I assisted in organising, was a theatrical rendition of Shelly's poem about the Italian noblewoman Beatrice Cenci held at the the Cenci Palace. 



The theme was 16th Century, as the performance was this era, so everybody was required to be in full costume. We had a small budget for the costume this time so Gaby and I went to the Costumista Scenigrafo at Giacomo Ponzio, a costume shop that specializes in period clothing. This was another great opportunity for me to learn more about period fashion and whilst there the shop owner told me which styles were from what years and how to pick out certain characteristics from the decades. 

Rails of voluminous period skirts and underlays

Eve and Nikolai were actors in the show and were being fitted for their costume. I was a little envious of them being able to dress up in the extravagant clothing to be honest, I would have really liked to join in. Their costumes look great!


Eve and Nikolai in the dressing room.. Smile guys!

A costume from the period just after the Revolution

Spanish costumes from the 15th Century

Cenci Event


The costume below is inspired by the African fashion that would have been worn by black people during the 16th Century - I wanted the challenge of designing something different from the Italian medieval theme which I knew everybody else was focused on. 

African costume designed by me

A typical servants/peasants costume from the century. Leggings and shoes hired from the costumista, the top resourced from Gaby's wardrobe (budget was very limited as always!) - I am pleased with the combination created here.

Anthony in a one of his best Medieval poses

There was a trip to Venice up for grabs for best dressed. These are the lovely couple that won and it's clear why. Unfortunately I cannot take credit for these absolute masterpieces, the attention to detail and embellishment in these made them stand out from the rest. The hours of hard work that went into these costumes is astonishing. Even the masks.. just wow. 




This week I also had the lucky opportunity to visit Cine Citta (Cinema City), a large film studio here in Rome considered to be the hub of Italian cinema. Gaby is hosting a casting for an upcoming film 'Everest' so I had the pleasure of joining her whilst seeing the sites at the same time. There were some striking fascist buildings - I have noticed they are quite popular here in Rome.





The studios were closely associated with Frederico Fellini, and his office was here at Teatro No.5. As the musical Nine, which we are working on with the University students is based on a film by Fellini, it was fantastic for me to be able to make that link and get a feel of the director and see his work space from many years ago.

Taa daaa!

Cine Citta also has model cities - Rome, New York, Paris. It was so interesting to see how realistically these can appear in film and even in real life - it was hard to believe these buildings are mostly made from plastic and light wood!


'Fake Rome'


The view from behind of the scaffolding - the big give away!

LA Jail... GUILTY

La Paris.. capturing how perfectly my hair can match my handbag...

Whilst having lots of fun at the film studies, Gaby suggested that I should have a go at my own casting for a place an as extra. I heard back later in the week from the production crew and they have indeed selected me for the extra cast! I have a costume fitting on Monday.

I later found out there may be some issues with the payments as the company pay by direct debit into your Italian bank account - which I do not have. These are the sort of problems you are faced with when living abroad. I found a simple solution in that they are happy to send the money into Gaby's account.

The shifts will long, full days, but it will be great chance to meet directors, actors and make a bit of money!

I haven't heard back from NutKase, the company who I applied for a position within. Upon reflection I was probably a little over ambitious. It hasn't knocked me though - I have enough on my plate already and I am learning and achieving so much working at the theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment