Friday 25 April 2014

My hand-made traditional Bengali wedding headpieces

Okay so whilst I've got all this energy buzzing through me why don't I show you some of the cool stuff I've been up to since I've been here.

The first show I worked on when I arrived in Rome in September was called Under The Overcoat, directed by Theodora Voutsa and an adaptation of a novel called The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. The novel follows a Bengali couple who move to America and experience a vastly different culture. 

My delegated role was 'Costume and prop assistance'. This was a great opportunity for me to show what I can do visually.

So, where to start? Well, a new bride needs a headpiece right? ... and wait.. so does the groom?

In Bengali wedding tradition, both the bride and the groom wear a headpiece for the ceremony. A Mukut for the bride, and a Topor for the groom. Like these here:

..Image not my own - as you can tell from the watermark plastered over it

The theme of culture in the performance was so important that I wanted to create the most traditional, realistic costume I could muster (with the teeny tiny budget). Using white fabric, some cardboard and my ever trusty glue gun I gathered all the sparkly golden things I could find and began constructing.

I have to admit, before I can began these I honestly thought - am I actually going to be able to make these in two days? I was working to a deadline for the dress rehearsal and sure enough, I magicked up these in time:

The Topor for the groom in working progress
Kaushik (Nikhil Ganguli) in his Topor. It did actually sit on the head without support.. I promise

Natalie (Ashima Ganguli) in her handmade Mukut
The stunning wedding sari was supplied by the wives of members of the Indian Embassy who kindly lent us much of their own jewellery and clothes.
This was my first lesson in learning that I MUST document my creations. Although these pieces are still around in the costume cupboard it would have been really nice if I had been able to photograph them both on the actors in full costume. During rehearsals and manic showtime however, this is harder than you would ever believe...

It also taught me another little lesson on how no matter how daunting a task.. it's always possible if you have the confidence, commitment and enthusiasm in what you're doing.

Where there's a will... There's a way

No comments:

Post a Comment