Friday 14 February 2014

Upcycling and Re-cycling - How to furnish your whole home with 'garbage'

Among work, I have also been caring for an old lady which is a excellent way for me to earn some extra money and also to explore Rome and go further into the suburbs! They have the most incredibly huge fancy house so it's quite a luxury going over there. Plus another skill I could put on my CV should I ever need to.

Her gorgeous chocolate poodle bounding up the garden


I've also been helping Gaby out taking some photos of her beautiful country home. She would like to have an online portfolio as a lot of it she built herself - including the kitchen. It's really incredible the work she's done, I find great inspiration in Gaby! Here are some photos of the house. Next time I will take my new fancy pants camera my dad has loaned me for university and get some really good quality photos.

The hand crafted made-to-look-old kitchen. The cupboard doors are built from old window shutters

A close up of the marble kitchen sink

The are taps from an old water fountain in Rome, you can see the mythical create style spout mouths - these are one of my favourite features of the house - truly stunning! Gaby made the sink from a piece of marble she found, and the counters were made from window shutters, pieces of new wood made to look old etc. Upcycling and recycling home-style!
A beautiful view from the terrace, even on a rainy day

Upstairs kitchenette with ultramarine backwall

Downstairs bedroom, recycled bed frame and windowed cupboard turning into a mirror


I am expanding my knowledge of what I like to call Super-scrimping. Gaby knows all the old ways to save money, create things cheaply and how to be incredibly economical, this is a really good skill to be improving on and I often find myself fascinated by the things she has created from bizarre things she has found in the trash! ('Trash!' I have also found myself picking up American words over here… A lot of things are becoming really 'Awesome')


My favourite photo of them all, the old smudgy mirror reflecting the soft sunlight


I spent a lovely weekend back in England with my boyfriend living the life in the ever changing Shoreditch. I grow fonder and fonder of that place after each visit! We visited Greenwich which is where time is kept (GMT) and got a good view of London whilst up there. I have noticed a huge increase in my appreciate for the beauty of England since being away.

Greenwich, London. GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment